Frequently asked questions about services that are available to senior Victorians, and where to find information about these services.

Aged care

Carer assistance

  • How can I get a rest from caring?

    Each region in Victoria has a Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre who can assist you to arrange respite care on a short, emergency or longer term basis. A Carer Support Worker can help you decide what will work and put the services in place.

    Contact your closest centre by ringing the National Aged Care Information Line on 1800 200 422.

    You can find out more about respite care on the MyAgedCare website.

  • My elderly mother will be living with me soon. Can I get any financial help for her care?

    There are two forms of regular payment available to eligible carers through Centrelink and the Department of Human Services.

    Carer Allowance - a supplementary payment for people who care for an adult with a disability, severe medical condition or who is frail aged at home.

    Carer Payment - a means tested income support payment for people who cannot support themselves through participation in the workforce while caring for someone with a disability, severe medical condition or who is frail aged.

    For more information visit Department of Human Services (link opens a new window) or phone the Centrelink number for Disability, Sickness and Carers on 13 2717. There may be other financial assistance available for specific purposes.

    Carers Victoria operates a Care Line 1800 242 636, 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday (local call cost). The Care Line worker on duty can give you more information about both payments and other financial assistance.

  • Can I get help to care for my partner?

    A number of organisations can offer practical help to carers such as personal care, home help or food services.

    The Department of Social Services has information for carers on MyAgedCare (link opens a new window) or call them on 1800 200 422.

    You can ring Care Line 1800 242 636, or visit Carers Australia (link opens a new window) to get details of the services available to you.

Concessions and entitlements

Financial information


Home and Community Care


Local government

Personal alarms

  • What is a Personal Alert?

    Personal Alert Victoria (PAV) is a personal monitoring service that responds to calls for assistance and is funded by the Victorian Government.

    PAV enhances the confidence of frail, older people and people with disabilities, who are isolated and vulnerable, to live independently in their own home by providing contact 24 hours a day.

    To be eligible for PAV you must be assessed by one of the designated PAV assessment agencies. For more information about assessment for the service please contact one of the following agencies:

    • Mt Eliza Personal Assistance Call Service - Phone: 1800 451 300
    • Your local council's aged care service

Seniors Citizens Clubs


Victorian Seniors Card

Victorian Seniors Festival