Seniors Online logo

Help at home

Receive assistance at home to remain independent for longer


  • You can access basic home care services through the Home and Community Care (HACC) Program that will allow you to remain at home for longer.
  • These services include day-to-day tasks such as cooking, transport and social support.
  • More complex Home Care Packages are also available with a higher level of service to provide you with greater support.

Most people want to maintain their lifestyles at home, with their family and friends and in their community. As we age our needs can change. Sometimes a little assistance can help us maintain our health and lifestyles.

Basic home care services are available for when you need just a little help at home - such as with domestic tasks, meals and assistance getting to appointments.

If your support needs are more complex, there are home care packages that offer similar services at a higher level and include coordination of your services.

Basic help at home

To help you to retain your independence at home and in the community you may be eligible to receive services to assist you with day-to-day tasks around the home such as cooking, maintaining your home and being out and about in your community. Assistance with personal care is also available. Services include:

  • Domestic assistance: working with you to keep your house clean and safe and helping with basic maintenance tasks.
  • Meals: helping you to eat well by assisting you with shopping; working with you to prepare meals or providing delivered meals.
  • Personal care: working with you to manage personal tasks such as having a shower and getting dressed.
  • Nursing: access to a range of professional services such as nursing, physiotherapy and podiatry in your home or at a centre.
  • Transport: group or individual transport assistance for shopping trips, appointments and social engagements.
  • Social support: connecting you with an interest group of social opportunities; helping you get to places you want to go.

Accessing basic services

Basic home support services are provided under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)External Link .

If you require just a few services, your first step is to contact your local councilExternal Link . Your local council can tell you what is available through the HACC program in your area. You can also:

  • Find a service and contact information on the Australian Government's My Aged Care web siteExternal Link .
  • Call the Seniors Information Victoria on 1300 135 090 about all general aged care questions.

More complex support at home

If you have a number of health issues and require services more frequently, there are packages of services available to assist you.

Accessing complex support services

Home Care PackagesExternal Link offer similar services to the HACC program, albeit with a higher level of service available and added coordination of services to provide greater support for you.

To be eligible to receive a Home Care Package, you must be assessed by a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). In Victoria - this is called the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS).

To find out more contact your local Aged Care Assessment TeamExternal Link who will be able to answer any questions you might have and arrange for an assessment for services.

Who provides aged care services?

In general:

  • Federal governments provide residential care options for older people.
  • State governments (in collaboration with local councils) provide support to older people in the home.

Have an aged care complaint?

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner's websiteExternal Link has information about how to make a complaint, your rights and resources to assist you.

My support program isn't listed?

You may have previously received help with various tasks at home and in the community under the following programs:

  • Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH) package.
  • Extended Aged Care at Home Dementia (EACHD) package.
  • Community Aged Care Packages (CACP).

From August 2013, the Australian Government introduced new Home Care PackagesExternal Link , with four levels of care.

EACH and EACHD are now provided under Home Care Package - Level 4.

CACP is provided under Home Care Package - Level 2.

Reviewed 06 December 2022