The Victorian Seniors Festival aims to recognise and celebrate the valuable contribution older people have made and continue to make to our community. We present a range of free and low cost events across Victoria for older people to enjoy, seeking to maximise interest and participation in festival events at local and regional levels and to promote opportunities for healthy and active living by supporting events which offer older people the chance to try new activities and become more involved in their local community.
The Festival is open to all older Victorians and many events also welcome friends and family members. The majority of the performers, artists, writers, community leaders and demonstration groups involved in the program of events are older Victorians – demonstrating a rich depth of talent, a joyful participation in community life and a commitment to celebrating what they do.
2016 Victorian Seniors Festival
The 34th Victorian Seniors Festival will take place throughout October in 2016. Free and low-cost events and activities will be presented across Victoria, including concerts, dances, theatre shows, celebratory morning teas, tours, a host of indoor and outdoor recreation activities and much more.
The State Government will provide 8 days of free public transport for Victorian Seniors Card holders in metropolitan and regional Victoria for the period Sunday 2 to Sunday 9 October, 2016 and 5 days of free V/Line travel on Monday 3, Tuesday 4, Wednesday 5, Thursday 6 and Saturday 8 October.
Major free festival events in Melbourne during the free travel period
- Celebration Day at Federation Square, Sunday 2 October, 10.30am to 4pm
- Festival Hub at Melbourne Town Hall, daily Monday 3 to Friday 7 October, 10am to 4.30pm
- Come and Dance!, Melbourne Town Hall, Monday 3 October, 12.30pm to 4pm
- Festival at the Edge, Deakin Edge at Federation Square, Monday 3 and Tuesday 4 October, 11am - 3.30pm
- Organ Concert at Melbourne Town Hall, Wednesday 5 October, 1pm to 2pm