Vishnu Prasad says volunteering brings a sincere happiness.
Whatever your reasons for changing from full-time paid work to part-time work or retirement, it is useful to plan for the transition financially, emotionally and practically.
Here are some suggestions to start you thinking:
- For example at a health service, as a mentor, a dog walker, a gardener or to record the oral history of older people. Have a look on the and check out their 'For Volunteers' section for opportunities throughout Victoria.
- Visit portal. Look into the for volunteering ideas.
- And read inspiring stories about award winning volunteers on the Volunteer champion award website.
- Help with childcare, or caring for the long or short term for family members, friends, or neighbours.
- Continue your education by taking up a new subject, explore a new field of study, or take up classes to keep your mind healthy and active. Check out the to find a U3A near you.
- Grow your own vegetables or plants. Read about the benefits of gardening.
- Join a gardening club - check out the for information on Clubs and Societies and their extensive calendar of events plus their Garden Rambles series.
- Check out to find out more about opening your garden, becoming a Friend of Open Gardens, or volunteering.
- Get involved in a creative arts program, a choir or photography group. Check out the .
- Helping others to take up a new hobby in your area of interest, such as painting, bird watching, or tennis.
Interested in low-cost options?
A lot of other programs are also available for free or at low-cost. Start by visiting shopping and recreation for details.
If you are still stuck for ideas, why not chat to friends and family and get their suggestions?
Reviewed 14 December 2022