Public transport is cheaper with a Seniors Card.
Victorian Seniors Card holders receive significant discounts and benefits on public transport. These are:
- A Seniors myki and concession fares on trains, trams and buses, including V/Line trains and coaches. This is a 50 per cent discount on a full fare.
- Free weekend travel in any two consecutive zones and on regional town buses.
- Free off-peak travel vouchers. Victorian Seniors Card holders receive these in their Welcome Packs and during the Seniors Card mail out in October. Vouchers can be redeemed for:
- a day’s unlimited travel in Zone 1+2, at a metropolitan premium station or PTV Hub
- an off-peak V/Line single or day return, at a staffed V/Line station or ticket agent.
- Free travel during Victorian Seniors Festival in October. That’s eight days of free travel across metropolitan and regional services.
- Cheaper off-peak fares on V/Line services.
Card holders should remember to carry their Seniors Card and Seniors myki when travelling.
For more information see Using your Seniors myki and visit the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) seniors (External link) for information about transport benefits.
Note: Seniors Business Discount Card do not have access to public transport concessions and Seniors fares. For more information visit the Seniors Card program FAQs.
Travelling to NSW and want to use a NSW Opal Card?
If you are travelling in New South Wales, make sure you tap into public transport services across Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands - capped, no matter how much you travel.
Grab an Opal card (like our myki in Victoria) to travel on the following services:
- all Sydney trains
- all NSW TrainLink Intercity services
- all buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter and Illawarra
- all Sydney ferries and the Stockton Ferry in Newcastle
- light rail.
Opal cards are free to obtain but you need to add value to travel with them. If you’re a Victorian Seniors Card holder, you can apply for the Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal Card at www.opal.com.au
Just send in an application for the Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card by email or post – details are on the bottom of the application form on the website. Seniors Business Discount Card holders are not eligible to apply for an Opal card.
You should plan for your card to arrive in time to travel, and allow 14 days for processing.
If you hold a Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veteran Affairs, you can apply by entering your details directly at www.opal.com.au and you will be issued with a Gold Senior/ Pensioner Opal card that will not expire (provided your pensioner status is maintained).
Travelling elsewhere interstate?
When you travel interstate, please take your Seniors Card with you. You may be able to access concession travel in some States and Territories of Australia.
Please contact the relevant Seniors Card program in the States and Territories that you intend to visit to find out about benefits available to Victorian Seniors Card holders.