Eve and Lynton- grandchildren

Seniors are a vital part of our community, and to help you maintain your health and wellbeing subsidised services are available. This includes eyecare services, support for carers and support for older people who live alone and are at risk of falling.

Local health and wellbeing services

There are many health and well being services available to you in your local area. Your local community Health Service offers a wide range of subsidised health services, including:

  • allied health services
  • chronic disease management that includes support for self management
  • dental health services
  • disability services
  • drug and alcohol services
  • health promotion
  • home and community care services
  • medical services
  • mental health services
  • post acute care services

To access these services, find a community health service in your area.


The Victorian Eyecare Service offers subsidised eye wear and eye care through local optometrists and the Australian College of Optometry. You may be eligible if you are a permanent resident of Victoria who:

  • holds a Pensioner Concession Card in their own name, and their dependents under the age of eighteen years or
  • have held a Health Care Card in their own name for at least 6 months continuously, and dependents are under the age of eighteen years.

A full description of VES is available via the Australian College of Optometry (ACO) website or call 9349 7400.

You can also find metropolitan service locations and rural service locations on the ACO website.

Personal Alert Victoria (PAV)

If you live alone, are frail or have health issues you may be eligible for a Personal Alert Victoria (PAV) alarm to help you live confidently in your own home.

PAV is a personal monitoring service that allows you to call from help anywhere in your home. The service also provides a daily call to make sure you are OK. To find out more about PAV, download the PAV fact sheet in English (PDF 127KB), or in a language other than English on the right of this page.

Note: The Personal Alert Victoria form is currently provided in PDF format only. If you require the form in an alternative format please email: seniorsonline@dhhs.vic.gov.au or phone (03) 9096 7389. Use the National Relay Service on 13 36 77 if required.

Accessing PAV

To confirm your eligibility, you must be assessed by your local council's aged care service.

Mental health

Services are available for people who are 65 years old or older, who have a long-standing mental illness or have developed functional illnesses such as depression. These include:

  • Aged persons assessment and treatment services: These are community-based services that include assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and case management for older people.
  • APMH Nursing Homes and Hostels: These are bed-based services to people who cannot be managed in mainstream aged care residential services due to their level of persistent cognitive, emotional or behavioural disturbance.
  • Acute inpatient services: These are short-term inpatient management and treatment during an acute phase of mental illness until sufficient recovery allows the person to be treated effectively in the community.

For more information visit Aged Persons Mental Health Services


If you’re worried about your memory, have a chat with your doctor. Specialist clinics such as Cognitive Dementia and Memory Service (CDAMS) clinics can do checks of people who may have memory loss or other cognitive losses. CDAMS provide:

  • Expert clinical diagnosis.
  • Information on appropriate treatments.
  • Education, support and information.
  • Direction in planning for the future.
  • Information on dealing with day to day issues.
  • Linkages for clients or their family to other service providers or community supports.

For more information, visit the CDAMS information section on the Better Health Channel website. To find your closest CDAMS, you can also:

  • Ask your doctor.
  • Contact Alzheimer’s Australia Victoria via their website (link opens a new window) or phone (03) 9815 7800.
  • Go to www.fightdementia.org.au/victoria or call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.

Preventing falls

As we age we can be at greater risk of falls and breaking bones, however, there are practical suggestions available on how to minimise your risks of having a fall.

Rehabilitation services

It can take time to get back to your best after an admission to hospital due to injury or illness, especially as you get older.

There are a number of rehabilitation services (called Sub-acute Care Services or SACS) available to assist you make the best recovery possible. These include:

Community rehabilitation:

  • Time-limited services based on goals agreed to by the client and his or her carer.
  • Provided either in the home or in a centre.
  • Services may include consultative medical services, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work, speech pathology, podiatry and dietetics.
  • For further information contact your local community health service.

Specialist clinics

  • Specialist clinics provide support to clients with specific conditions.
  • Time-limited and specialist diagnosis and intervention
  • Referrals onto mainstream services for ongoing management of your condition. They also provide support to carers, relatives and professional service providers. Specialist clinics can be delivered at a client’s home or a specialist centre.
  • Can include continence clinics, falls and mobility clinics, pain management clinics and movement disorder clinics
  • For further information see Sub-acute Care Service.


If you have a severe or permanent disability, you may be eligible for subsidised taxi services through the Multi Purpose Taxi Program. This service offers half price taxi fares to help you maintain your social connections or go to appointments.

Support for carers program

Services include information and support for carers, and assistance to help carers take a break from caring. More information is available via: