The Older Persons Advocacy Network and Elders Rights Advocacy understand that this is an extremely difficult time for you and your families. Supporting you during this is of the utmost importance to us. It’s critical you understand what your rights are, what support systems are in place and how to get help.
What are your rights?
Even though some residential aged care facilities have implemented new restrictions, it is important that your rights continue to be upheld. The Charter of Aged Care Rights from the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission includes 14 rights that you are always entitled to, including the right to aged care advocacy.
You have the right to:
- safe and high quality care and services
- be informed about your care and services in a way you understand
- have control over and make choices about your care, and personal and social life, including where the choices involve personal risk
- live without abuse and neglect
- have control over, and make decisions about, the personal aspects of your daily life, financial affairs and possession
- have a person of your choice, including an aged care advocate, support you or speak on your behalf.
Aged care advocates walk alongside older people and their families, to provide them a voice and to work at their direction. We are independent from aged care providers
and government. OPAN (Older Persons Advocacy Network) is a national aged care advocacy organisation that can provide you with free, confidential aged care advocacy services and information. Elder Rights Advocacy is the Victorian OPAN member.
For support, information and/or advocacy services, please contact us on 1800 700 600 (Free call). This phone line is active 6am-10pm every day, and can log requests for follow ups after hours. Calling this number in Victoria will connect you to Elder Rights Advocacy, OPAN’s Victorian member.
Alternatively, you can also email email@example.com - please include your contact number and your State or Territory.
Within 24 hours, you will then be contacted by one of our aged care advocates who can support you individually or work with families and aged care service providers.