Australian Multicultural Community Services (AMCS) is a not for profit organisation providing help at home and other support services to seniors and their carers in Melbourne and Greater Geelong.
With over 35 year's experience, the AMCS speciality is working with multicultural communities. They have over 150 friendly staff that speak a multitude of languages and understand many cultures.
AMCS initiatives to support seniors during COVID-19
- Fortnightly COVID information specific newsletter with contributions from seniors
- Welfare checks (weekly phone calls), Window visits, Tele-groups: Telephone social support groups
- Identifying seniors who have no or limited family support to reach out to
- Free meals for seniors, in partnership with RACV Foundation and Foodshare
- Preparation and distribution of hygiene packs; food parcels (especially for seniors who are afraid to go to shops); masks (sewn by AMCS volunteers); Buckwheat hot packs (made by volunteers)
- Seniors Resource Kits which include daily gentle exercise and healthy living guidelines, sent to community houses + councils throughout Melbourne and also directly to seniors living in their own homes
- AMCS Care Packs and AMCS Exercise Pack (printed instructions how to do light exercises at home)
- Bingo in Italian and Polish – over the phone (several groups)
- WhatsApp Arabic-speaking Women Support Group (Coptic-Egyptian)
- Preparation and distribution of over 1000 Entertainment Packs among isolated seniors.
Fun activities to keep fit:
- Virtual Dancing, Gentle Exercise, Tai Chi and Yoga classes for senior ethnic community members and groups
- Centre-based senior exercise classes now run online eg. - Tai Chi, Gentle Exercise, Yoga, Line Dancing and Seated Dance through newly-established Facebook: Moving For Life AMCS www.facebook.com/
Activities to stimulate the mind:
- Cognitive exercise videos with instructions
- Pen Pal letters – exchanged between seniors and school students and younger members from the community
- Calming meditation and muscle relaxation videos with instructions shared with clients to reduce levels of anxiety among clients during COVID-19
Virtual Gardening Workshops for 20 participants: two workshops a week (limited numbers). Q&A session with our Garden Support Volunteer over Zoom for seniors to ask any questions regarding their own gardens.
Art and craft:
- Easter Eggs Painting Competition
- Seniors’ Art Show (virtual)
- Gardening Show and Tell competition on Facebook – encouraging seniors to send images of their Winter Gardens and short stories related to the gardening experience.
Aged care service and support:
- Distributing of Aged Care service and support offered to seniors from different ethnic backgrounds throughout pharmacies, medical centres and Deli4You.
Contact AMCS for more information:
Visit the AMCS website https://www.amcservices.org.au/
Melbourne (03) 9689 9170
Geelong (03) 5241 2446
Email AMCS: firstname.lastname@example.org