This story first appeared in the 2018 Seniors Card Magazine.
Neil Yeomans is a 69-year-young, cat-loving, retiree from St Leonards. As an active retiree, Neil spends much of his time volunteering in the community and enjoys his volunteer role acting as a liaison between older residents and the Bellarine Community Council.
Neil had an accident in the shed when a spanner slipped and his arm shot backwards crushing the ulnar nerve in his elbow on a piece of steel. Neil described the pain: it was like when you hit your funny bone really hard, it was a very painful experience.
As a result, Neil had to have ulnar nerve transposition surgery to take the pressure off the nerve and reposition it in the elbow. A week after the surgery, the bandage was removed, but every time he put his arm down it rubbed on the wound. It was just annoying and even my shirt on it would irritate me, he says. In the evening I suggested to my wife that we go to the chemist and ask what I should put on there, just something soft to cover it.
I couldn’t actually go to the doctor, because I had to rely on my wife to drive me and she works during the day and the doctor is 15 kilometres away – so there was no way to get there during the day. When Neil was waiting to be served he saw the Curlewis Supercare Pharmacy sign showing there was a registered nurse on duty. Neil told the nurse about his operation and she provided a large tube bandage to stop anything touching the wound. She was very helpful, and she also showed me how to manage the wound and gave me a large piece of bandage to change the dressing, Neil says. I just found the service brilliant and I was very happy with the nurse.
I’ve since told many of my friends about this great service. A lot of my friends didn’t know the service even existed. I tell them to just go if they have a problem and see the nurse. At least she can advise whether to go to the hospital or not. “I just think it’s a great thing, it’s a great system and there should be more of it. Just too bad I can’t take my cat to the nurse, too, he jokes. There are 20 Supercare pharmacies open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout Victoria.
A pharmacist is on staff 24/7 and a registered nurse is available between 6pm and 10pm for free-of-charge consultations. No booking or Medicare card required.
The Supercare Pharmacies are located in the following areas:
- Ascot Vale – Ascot Vale Pharmacy, 67-69 Union Rd. Ph 9370 4146
- Ballarat – UFS Dispensaries, 717 Sturt St. Ph 5331 9811
- Balwyn – Balwyn Day and Night Pharmacy, 310-314 Whitehorse Rd. Ph 9836 3245
- Bendigo – Bendigo UFS Pharmacies, Corner View and Barnard Streets. Ph 5443 4610
- Coburg – Coburg Pharmacy 4 Less, 1 Louisa St. Ph 9386 6655
- Craigieburn – Amcal Pharmacy, 2A/340 Craigieburn Road. Ph 9308 4981
- Cranbourne North – Cranbourne North Chemist Warehouse, 180S William Thwaites Blvd. Ph 8391 9509
- Curlewis – Curlewis Pharmacy 4 Less, 10-11/90 Centennial Blvd. Ph 5251 6781
- Hoppers Crossing – Hoppers Crossing Chemist Warehouse, Shop 24-25, 428 Old Geelong Rd. Ph 9931 0040
- Keilor East – Keilor East Chemist Warehouse, Lot 3 233 Milleara Rd. Ph 9325 4660
- Keysborough – Parkmore Pharmacy 4 Less, Shop J01, 317 Cheltenham Rd. Ph 9798 1936
- Melbourne – HealthSmart Pharmacy Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre, 311 Grattan St. Ph 9045 9777
- Melton – Melton Chemist Warehouse, Unit 4 Melton Gateway, 66-84 High St. Ph 9746 8733
- Mildura – Mildura Chemist Warehouse, 114A -118 Langtree Ave. Ph 5023 2383
- Reservoir – Reservoir Pharmacy 4 Less, Summerhill Shopping Centre, 27/850 Plenty Rd. Ph 9471 0222
- Ringwood – Ringwood Chemist Warehouse, 131-133 Maroondah Hwy. Ph 9870 5022
- Shepparton – Shepparton Chemist Warehouse, 425 Wyndham St. Ph 5821 6000
- Traralgon – Traralgon Chemist Warehouse, 92 Franklin St. Ph 5174 2003
- Wantirna South – Pharmacy@Knox, Shop 2081 Westfield Knox, 425 Burwood Hwy. Ph 9800 5199
- Yarraville – Carnovale Pharmacy, 149 Somerville Rd. Ph 9314 7557
Reviewed 06 January 2023