15 minutes preparation time. 25 minutes cooking time. Makes 8 long or 24 short sausage rolls.
You will need:
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Metal mixing spoon
- Vegetable Grater
- Sharp knife
- Clean, dry chopping board
- Pastry brush
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 250g chicken mince
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup capscicum, finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp parsely, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp seame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced.
- Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the carrot, zucchini, capscicum and onion in a sieve over a bowl and press with the back of a spoon to remove excess moisture. Discard the liquid.
- Then put the chicken mince, parsley, carrot, zucchini, capscicum, onion and barbecue sauce into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a metal spoon, mix the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- On a clean board, place one puff pastry sheet and cut it in half with a clean sharp knife.
- Lay one quarter of the mixture along the centre of each piece. Fold the pastry over the filling, pressing gently to seal.
- Cut the logs in half for long rolls. For bite size rolls, cut the logs in half, then cut each half into thirds.
- Place the sausage rolls seal side down on the baking tray.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Brush the tops with the egg and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden.
- Enjoy with a salad and relish!
- Uncooked, or cooked, sausage rolls keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Allow another 5 to 10 minutes baking time, if cooking for the first time from frozen.
- You can keep cooked sausage roll in the fridge for up to two days. Reheat them or eat them cold.
Reviewed 13 September 2023