The Community Participation for Seniors from Emerging Communities project aimed to build capacity and capabilities of seniors from six target communities: Sudanese (Dinka), Ethiopian (Amharic), Somali (Somali), Burmese (Karen and Chin), Filipino (Tagalog) and Afghani (Dari). The project engaged with these groups in the Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Wyndham and Greater Dandenong local government areas (LGAs) and surrounding areas to support them to access and participate in Victorian seniors support programs and services by creating videos in language.
For a written transcript in language please contact the Seniors Card program on email.
Victorian Seniors Card program information voiceover script
This is a Seniors Card (Seniors Card), this card has many benefits and discounts.
The purpose of the Seniors Card is to encourage older people to keep active and engaged in the community, making it more affordable for seniors to get out and about.
- To be eligible for a Seniors Card in Victoria you must be 60 years of age or older, however you can apply for a card up to three weeks before you turn 60.
- You must be a permanent resident of Australia residing in Victoria
There are two different cards: The Seniors Card and the Seniors Business Discount Card (Seniors Business Discount Card).
- If you work less than 35 hours per week you can apply for a Seniors Card.
- If you work 35 hours per week or more you can apply for a Seniors Business Discount card.
Come and speak to our Bilingual Community Educator (BCE) (Bilingual Community Educator) or a community member to learn how to get a Seniors Card.
Or visit the website www.seniorsonline.vic.gov.au/apply or phone 1300 797 210.
To apply online you will need to have your Medicare card with you.
Application forms are also available at your local library.
Seniors Card holders and Seniors Business Discount Card holders can take advantage of discounts on goods and services from thousands of Seniors Card businesses.
The benefits include:
A free Seniors myki card when you join the program with discounts on public transport (only for Seniors Card holders).
- Discounts on thousands of businesses including restaurants.
- Discounts at many attractions such as the Melbourne Zoo
- Discount museum entry.
- Discounts on movie tickets.
Look for the 'Seniors Card Welcome Here' logo or ask for Seniors Card discounts when you're out and about.
For more information ask our Bilingual Educators or a local community member to assist you to apply to get a card.
So you can start getting the benefits of a Seniors Card today.