Matriarch is an original one woman show celebrating the strength and resilience of four Gumbaynggirr women, spanning over 100 years of Australian history.
A hit show at the Melbourne Fringe Festival 2018 and winner of a Green Room Award for best performance, Sandy Greenwood’s production vividly brings to life the matriarchs of her own family: herself, her mother, her grandmother, and her great-grandmother.
Sandy Greenwood is a First Nations actor and playwright from the Dunghutti, Gumbaynggirr and Bundalung tribes of Australia. She has a BA Drama (Theatre Studies), Honours, from QUT and has trained at The Atlantic Acting School in New York City, and The Groundlings in Los Angeles.
Sandy has performed with a number of Australia’s leading theatre companies, including the Sydney Theatre Company and Melbourne Theatre Company. Sandy has also performed on the international stage at Seattle Children’s Theatre Company in Afternoon of the Elves. On screen she has appeared in the US blockbuster Killer Elite alongside Robert de Niro, for which she received a Deadly Award nomination for Indigenous Actor of the Year, and was the lead in the feature film Little Black Dress.
We hope you enjoyed this performance- please leave us a comment below.
While we kindly encourage you to submit your comments, thoughts and experiences below or on our Facebook, we expect that users will not post content that falls into the following categories and reserve the right to remove comments that are:
- off-topic and not appropriate for discussion in this forum
- in violation of another’s privacy
- vexatious, fraudulent, deceptive or misleading
- abusive, defamatory, threatening, harassing, discriminatory or otherwise offensive
- of a political nature or promote particular services, products, or political organisations
- illegal or advocates illegal activity
- in violation of another’s intellectual property or infringe upon copyrights or trademarks.
By submitting a comment you agree to the Victorian Seniors Festival using your comment on social media or in promotional material. Names or identifiers will not be used to protect your privacy.